Norman O. Frederiksen
Norman specializes in the Cretaceous and Cenozoic biostratigraphy,
paleoecology, and paleoclimatology of the Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plains and
the North Slope of Alaska using spores and pollen grains. He received his
undergraduate education at Miami University (Ohio), the University of
Heidelberg (Germany), and Hamilton College; his M.S. at Pennsylvania State
University; and his Ph.D. at the University of Wisconsin. He worked first as a
palynologist for Mobil Oil Corporation in Dallas, then was Associate Professor
of Geology at San Diego State University, and has been a geologist with the
USGS since 1975.
Norman has served as President of the American Association of Stratigraphic
Palynologists. In addition to his work in the Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plains
and the North Slope of Alaska, he has worked extensively in California and
Pakistan and had a Fulbright fellowship in 1990 to work at the University of
- Southeastern Region Geology Project
- Appalachian Regional Geology and Hydrology Project
- Geology of the Mid-Atlantic Urban Corridor Subproject
- Geology of the Mid-Continent Subproject
- North Alaskan Petroleum Studies Project
- 1985-present. North Slope of Alaska Projects. Project
Chiefs: N. Frederiksen, L. Marincovich, and K. Bird.
- 1975-1996. Atlantic Coastal Plain Projects. Project
Chiefs: N. Frederiksen, L. Edwards, N. Sohl, and G. Gohn.
- 1975-1995. Gulf Coastal Plain Projects. Project Chiefs: N.
Frederiksen, L. Edwards, and N. Sohl.
- 1994-1995. Palynology of Gulf Coast Lignites. Project
Chief: N. Frederiksen.
- 1993-1994. Marine-Terrestrial Correlations, Western North
America Project (Climate Program). Project Chief: D. Adam.
- 1980-1994. California Projects. Project Chiefs: N.
Frederiksen, L. Marincovich, J. Barron, W. Sliter, and B. Murchey.
- 1987-1993. Pakistan Project (USGS Coal-Resource
Exploration and Assessment Program in Pakistan). Project Chiefs: N. Frederiksen
and B. Wardlaw
- 1991-1993. Abu Dhabi Water-Resources Project. Project
Chief: D. Hadley.
- 1978-1982. Upper Mississippi Embayment Project. Project
Chiefs: N. Frederiksen, T. Dutro, and J. Repetski.
Work in Progress
- Frederiksen, N. O., Sheehan, T. P., and
Andrle, V. A. S., in press
- Spore/pollen biostratigraphy and paleoecology of Mesozoic and lower
Tertiary samples from the Surghar and Salt Ranges, Pakistan. 61 ms. p. In:
Warwick, P. D., and Wardlaw, B. R., eds., Regional studies of
the Potwar Plateau area, northern Pakistan. U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin
U.S. Geological Survey
926A National Center
Reston, VA 20192
FAX: (703) 648-6953