Laurel M. Bybell
After spending three years with Chevron Oil Company in New Orleans, LA,
where she specialized in Pleistocene calcareous nannofossils from the Gulf of
Mexico, Laurel joined the USGS in 1974. During her years with the USGS, Laurel
has examined thousands of Cenozoic calcareous nannofossil samples from around
the world, and her primary emphasis has been biostratigraphic applications in
the Gulf and Atlantic Coastal Plains of the United States.
Laurel has conducted numerous cooperative studies with many geologists in
Geologic and Water Resources Divisions of the USGS, State Geological Surveys,
and universities both within the United States and in other nations in the
fields of stratigraphy, subsurface geology, surface geologic mapping,
geochronology, ground water geology, geophysics, regional and plate tectonics,
and seismic stratigraphy. These studies were conducted in MA, NJ, DE, MD, VA,
NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, MO, the Gulf of Mexico, the North Atlantic,
Enewetak, Pakistan, India, and Europe. She developed a highly successful
interactive research technique, which she uses with her co-workers, that
results in extremely accurate and detailed interpretations of the Cenozoic
regional geology of an area. This work is documented in more than 100
scientific papers and abstracts.
Coastal Plain Project
- 1990-1995. Early Cenozoic Biostratigraphy and Basin
Analysis, Atlantic and Eastern Gulf Coastal Plains. Project Chief: Thomas G.
- 1992-1995. Savannah River Project. Project Chief: Lucy E.
- 1990-1991. Climate history of the Canada Basin of the
Arctic Ocean. Project Chief: Richard Z. Poore.
- 1990-1992. Pliocene Paleoceanography and Oceanic
Paleoclimatology. Project Chief: Harry J. Dowsett.
- 1989-1993. Paleocene-Eocene Biostratigraphy of Pakistan
and Paleontological Development of the Geological Survey of Pakistan. Project
Chief: Bruce R. Wardlaw.
- 1985-1990. New Jersey COGEOMAP. Project Chiefs: James P.
Owens and Norman Sohl.
- 1984-1990. Paleocene-Eocene Boundary Project. Project
Chief: Thomas G. Gibson.
- 1984-1986. Paleontology and Stratigraphy Enewetak Project.
Project Chief: Richard Z. Poore.
- 1982-1984. Paleocene and Lower Eocene Biostratigraphy of
the Central Gulf Coastal Plain. Project Chiefs: Laurel M. Bybell and Thomas G.
Work in Progress
- Bybell, L.M., in press
- Neogene calcareous nannofossil biostratigraphy of the Caribbean coast of
Panama and Costa Rica: Bulletins of American Paleontology.
- Bybell, L.M., in preparation
- Cenozoic calcareous nannofossil biostratigraphy of the Millhaven core,
Screven County, Georgia: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper, in press.
- Bybell, L.M., Edwards, L.E.,
Frederiksen, N.F., Gohn, G.S., and Self-Trail,
J.M., in preparation
- Paleontology and physical stratigraphy of the USGS-Cannon Park core
(CHN-800), Charleston County, South Carolina: U.S. Geological Survey Open-file
- Bybell, L.M., and Self-Trail, J.M., in
- Calcareous nannofossils from Paleogene deposits in the Salt Range,
Pakistan: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin, 56 p.
- Gibson, T.G., and Bybell, L.M., in
- Climatic and stratigraphic implications of clay mineral changes in
Paleocene/Eocene boundary deposits of the northeastern U.S.
- Gohn, G.S., Reinhardt, J., Bybell, L.M., Rubin, Meyer, and
Garrison, J.A. Jr., in press
- Physical stratigraphy, calcareous nannofossil biostratigraphy, and
depositional history of the Quaternary sediments in the USGS-Belle Fontaine No.
1 corehole, Jackson County, Mississippi: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin.
- Weems, R.E., and Bybell, L.M., in press
- Part 1 -- Geology of the Kingstree and St.Stephen areas, in A.E. Sanders,
ed., Vertebrate fossils from the Paleocene of South Carolina: Transactions of
the American Philosophical Society.
U.S. Geological Survey
970 National Center
Reston, VA 20192
FAX: (703) 648-5420