Debra A. Willard
Deb received her Ph.D. (dissertation, 1990) and M.S. (thesis, 1985) in
botany from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She spent one year
at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural
History as a postdoctoral fellow analyzing phylogenetic relationships among
Carboniferous lycopsids and integrating palynological work with megafossil and
sedimentological analyses to evaluate the long-term response of terrestrial
ecosystems to paleoenvironmental changes during the Paleozoic. In 1991, Dr.
Willard came to USGS as part of the Pliocene Research, Interpretation, and
Synoptic Mapping (PRISM) project to determine patterns of vegetational response
to Plio-Pleistocene climatic changes in the North Atlantic region. She now is
investigating ecosystem responses to both anthropogenic and climatic changes in
coastal regions of the eastern United States, including the Everglades of south
Florida, Gulf Coast tidal wetlands, Lake Pontchartrain, and Chesapeake Bay.
Work in Progress
- Grantz, Arthur, Willard, D.A., and Clark, D.L., in
- Position of Devonian to early Mississippian beds in the stratigraphy of
Lomonosov Ridge near the North Pole, based on a piston core and the Polarstern
seismic data. Polarforschung.
- Cronin, T.M., Willard, D.A.,
Dowsett, H.J., Ishman, S.E., and Liddicoat, J.C., in
- The Pliocene marine and terrestrial paleoclimate and sea level record of
the Yorktown Formation, southeastern Virginia. U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin.
(69 Manuscript pages, Branch approval 12 December 1994).
- Edwards, L.E., and Willard, D.A., in
- Dinoflagellate cysts and pollen from sediment samples, Mississippi Sound
and Gulf of Mexico. in Gohn, G.S., ed., Stratigraphic framework of the Neogene
and Quaternary sediments of the Mississippi coastal zone, Jackson County,
Mississippi, U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin.
- Willard, D.A., and Edwards, L.E., in
- Palynomorph biostratigraphy and paleoecology of subsurface upper Neogene
and Quaternary sediments in southern Jackson County, Mississippi, in Gohn,
G.S., ed., Stratigraphic framework of the Neogene and Quaternary sediments of
the Mississippi coastal zone, Jackson County, Mississippi, U.S. Geological
- Willard, D.A., Holmes, C.W., Murray, J.B., Orem, W.H., and
Weimer, L.M., submitted
- The Florida Everglades Ecosystem: Millennial and Decadal Scale Changes
Through Time. Science.
- Weimer, L.M., Willard, D.A., Cooper,
S.R., and Jensen, Jennifer., in preparation
- Pollen Atlas of taxa present in Water Conservation Area 2A, southern
- Willard, D.A., Cronin, T.M., Flocks,
James, Ishman, S.E., Kindinger, Jack, and Waibel,
Neil, in preparation
- Holocene biotic patterns in Lake Pontchartrain: proxy records of
vegetation, eutrophication, and hypoxia.
U.S. Geological Survey
926A National Center
Reston, VA 20192
FAX: (703) 648-6953